Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Making money regularly is one of the most fundamentally appealing features of sports betting. That can be done, but you must be knowledgeable and use the proper techniques. Unfortunately, the majority of gamblers eventually lose money. This is true for several reasons, one of which is the fact that bookmakers employ certain strategies to ensure they always have the upper hand. Surmounting this edge is essentially the key to profitable sports betting. In a sense, bookmakers are your competitors, and you must learn how to defeat them. You must first comprehend how they are certain to create money before you can accomplish this.

We describe the strategies bookies employ in this article to give themselves an advantage. We also consider the second primary factor that contributes to their financial success: the fact that the majority of bettors place poor wagers.

How Do Bookmakers Make Money? 

These are some ways that bookmakers profit:

  • They choose the appropriate bet prices (the vig)
  • Establishing and altering the wagering lines
  • Reducing Risk and Balancing the Book
  • Using Bettor’s Emotions and Knowledge Deficit

Fundamentals Of Bookkeeping 

The underlying concept of bookmaking is straightforward and obvious. Each time a consumer places a bet with the bookmaker and each time the customer wins a bet, the bookmaker receives payment. To earn more money than you spend is the aim. Making books is an art, and this is bookmaking. While bookmakers cannot influence the results of sporting events, they may influence how much they stand to gain or lose on any given outcome. To guarantee a profit, they fix the odds for every wager they place.

Vigorous Charging/ The Overground

The introduction of vigorish is the primary strategy used by bookmakers to increase the odds in their favor. The odds that bookmakers set are intended to aid in their ability to generate money. That is essentially a commission for placing bets. We will use the straightforward example of a coin flip to effectively demonstrate vig.

Either of the two outcomes of a coin flip is equally likely. 50% of the time, heads will come up, and 50% of the time, tails will. A bookmaker would give even money on a coin flip if they were giving actual odds. This translates to odds in the decimal form of 2.00, money line odds of +100, and fractional odds of 1/1. When a $10 wager wins at even money, the result is $20, which includes the original $10 bet deposit plus $10 in profit.

Let’s imagine that this bookmaker had 100 clients who each placed a $10 wager on the outcome of a coin toss, with 50% of them choosing heads and 50% choosing tails. In this case, the bookmaker would not stand to gain anything at all.

The bookies are taking in a total of $1,000 in bets, as you can see from the graphic above, but they also have to pay out a total of $1,000 in profits, regardless of the outcome. The fact that they are in business to earn money makes it clear that this is a bad situation. To account for this, they incorporate the vig into the odds. So, they may promise that they will profit regardless of the result, theoretically at least. They frequently employ odds of 1.9091 (-110 in moneyline, 10/11 in fractional) when two events are equally likely.

In keeping with the coin flip illustration, the chances for heads and tails would now both be 1.9091, but they would still be the same.

The Function Of Odds Calculators 

The odds are established by odds compilers at bookmaking companies. They are also referred to as traders, and they play a crucial role. A bookmaker’s likelihood of accepting wagers and the likelihood of earning money are ultimately determined by the odds they set.

Pricing up markets for sporting events involves a lot of factors. The main objective is to ensure that the odds appropriately depict how likely any certain event may be while also ensuring that there is a profit margin built in. The majority of the time, statistics are used to predict outcomes, although there is frequently some human judgment involved.

Compilers must consequently possess a deep understanding of the sports for which they are creating markets, which is why they frequently focus on only one or two. They must also possess a thorough knowledge of numerous statistical and mathematical concepts.

Let’s take a look at how a compiler may set the market price for an Andy Murray vs. Novak Djokovic tennis match. Due to the narrow skill gap between these two players, the compiler would need to take several things into account. For instance, they would consider each player’s recognized skill level on the pertinent playing surface, as well as their present shape. They would also consider the outcomes of earlier meetings.

They could conclude that Murray has an approximately 40% probability of winning the match and Djokovic has a roughly 60% chance based on all these variables. These possibilities are roughly represented by the odds for Djokovic (1.67) and Murray (2.50). The vig, which would also need to be taken into account, is not included in these odds. Compilers often have a goal margin. Because of a variety of factors, this can vary quite a little, but for this discussion, let’s say that the compiler desires a margin of about 5%. They would take 5% off the odds for each player, giving Djokovic 1.59 and Murray 2.38. Calculating a bookmaker’s margin involves adding the reciprocal of the odds for each potential result and translating it to a percentage. The following equation would be utilized since there are two possible outcomes in this situation.

Wrapping Up

By now, it ought to be obvious why bookies enjoy a numerical edge over their clients. Although they don’t always make money on every market they price up, this advantage does contribute to their overall success. Yet, the benefit may be overcome. It’s not like playing casino games, where no matter what you do, the chances are always stacked against you. Having said that, bookmakers‘ financial success is not just due to their mathematical edge. The fact that the majority of gamblers put more poor bets than successful bets is another factor in their success.

You must comprehend what exactly constitutes a good wager if you want to stay away from being one of those gamblers. Contrary to popular belief, a smart bet involves more than just placing a wager on what you anticipate will occur. Although this strategy may be effective if you consistently forecast the outcome of sporting events accurately, the majority of individuals do not.

You must have the ability to spot betting chances that offer high value if you want to have the best chance of succeeding in sports betting.

Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our Newsletter for new blog
posts, tips & photos.

Access to this site is restricted in certain geographical territories. Customers residing in the listed territories are prohibited from accessing the site and its services.
The restricted territories are: Afghanistan, Algeria, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, China (People’s Republic of), Cuba, Cyprus, Denmark, Ethiopia, France (and French territories), Germany, Gibraltar, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of), Lao (People’s Democratic Republic of), Macau, Malta, Myanmar, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Taiwan, Turkey, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States (and U.S. Territories), Yemen.